The latest updates and snippets of info from around the village...
- 14th November is the date of the next Parish Council meeting and on this occasion, a team from the HS2 project will be on hand to answer any questions. If ever there was a time to make your presence known at a council meeting, this would be it. See the HS2 page for further information.
- Rough Edge, a covers band from Tadcaster, are back by popular demand. The night will include a pie and pea supper for £10 per ticket. Bring your own drink/snacks - get your dancing shoes on, a great night is guaranteed!
- The Twenty’s Plenty campaign is being stepped up in Barkston Ash near Tadcaster as more signs go up in the village appealing to speeding motorists to keep to 20 miles per hour.
“ The present signs have had the desired effect to some extent, but many cars continue to drive far too fast and with two schools in the village we feel children’s lives are still at risk and that’s why we are putting up more warnings,” said Councillor John Brassington,the Twenty’s Plenty campaign chairman.
- Highways North Yorkshire have agreed to reduce the speed limit of the A162 as it passes through the village to 30MPH. This is great news, especially as it will help reduce traffic speeds outside Barkston Ash Primary School.
- Meanwhile, Barkston Ash councillors have approved the installation of a defibrillator on the wall of the village hall to deal with emergency cases where people are suddenly taken seriously ill and can be helped until a doctor or an ambulance arrive. Several villagers have recently been trained to use the equipment which is easy to open.
- The new village stone name sign is now in place on the triangle at the entrance to the village. Barkston In Boom have done a fantastic job over the summer and autumn of planting the flower bed in front of the sign which which has helped make it a great feature at the entrance to the village. Plans are afoot light the sign so that it is visible both day and night.
- Christmas is rapidly aproaching and once again we will be hoping the light up the village with festive lights. Watch this space for some festive photos and for details of christmas events taking place in the village.